Capitalize on the built-in security services in Windows Server 2003—and deliver your own robust, public key infrastructure (PKI) based solutions at a fraction of the cost and time. This in-depth reference cuts straight to the details of designing and implementing certificate-based security solutions for PKI-enabled applications. Written by Brian Komar, a well-known network security and PKI expert, along with members of the Microsoft PKI Team, this guide describes real-world solutions and best practices for wireless networking, smart card authentication, VPNs, security-enhanced e-mail, Web SSL, EFS, and code-signing applications. Get the inside information and guidance you need to avoid common design and implementation mistakes, help minimize risk, and optimize security administration.
Discover how to:
- Strengthen PKI design with policy documents—security policies, certificate policies, and Certificate Practice Statements (CPS)
- Deploy a Windows Server 2003 PKI in an Active Directory environment
- Design, install, and take measures to help secure the CA hierarchy
- Plan PKI membership and implement role separation
- Issue certificates to computers, users, or network devices
- Create trust between organizations by using code signing and security-enhanced email
- Recover a user’s private key by archiving it for encryption certifications
- Plan and perform the deployment of Encrypting File System (EFS)
- Implement Web Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
- Install the hardware and software required for smart card authentication
- Timesaving tools and scripts
- Complete eBook in PDF format
A Note Regarding the CD or DVD
The print version of this book ships with a CD or DVD. For those customers purchasing one of the digital formats in which this book is available, we are pleased to offer the CD/DVD content as a free download via O'Reilly Media's Digital Distribution services. To download this content, please visit O'Reilly's web site, search for the title of this book to find its catalog page, and click on the link below the cover image (Examples, Companion Content, or Practice Files). Note that while we provide as much of the media content as we are able via free download, we are sometimes limited by licensing restrictions. Please direct any questions or concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Author
Brian Komar is the owner and principal consultant for Komar Consulting, Inc., a consulting firm specializing in network security and Public Key Infrastructure (PKI). Brian partners with Microsoft on several ventures, which include developing security-related courseware for Microsoft Training & Certification, authoring material for Microsoft Prescriptive Architecture Guides, and writing PKI white papers for the Microsoft Security team. Brian is a frequent speaker at IT industry conferences such as Microsoft Tech Ed, MCP TechMentor, and Windows & .NET Magazine Connections. Brian lives in Winnipeg, Canada, with his wife Krista Kunz.
Developed by senior editors and content managers at Microsoft Corporation.